(Christanna and John H. Daniel Campuses)
Award: Associate of Applied Science
Length: Sixty-six credit hour program
Purpose: The program is designed to prepare students for careers in helping agencies. These may include: nursing homes or other facilities for senior citizens, mental health facilities, rehab facilities, shelters, schools, or prisons. Students should tell their advisor if they plan to transfer.
Occupational Objectives: The following occupational titles represent examples of possible employment opportunities:
- Adult Activity Center Instructor and/or Work Supervisor
- Assistant Correctional and Rehabilitative Counselor
- Assistant Drug Counselor
- Assistant Intellectual Disability Counselor
- Assistant Nursing Home Director
- Day Care Worker
- Halfway House Assistant Manager
- Senior Citizen Activity Director
- Social Services Aide
- Teacher Aide and/or Instructional Assistant
- Welfare Eligibility Worker
Program Description: The program includes both the theory and practice needed for success in human services and related activities. Students should meet with their advisor to plan their program and select courses. Students who plan to transfer to a four year school should talk with an advisor at that school. For those who wish to transfer, also refer to the Human Services option in the AA&S degrees.
Additional Requirements: Successful completion of academic courses does not guarantee coordinated internship placement. Agency requirements will be used in making internship placement decisions.
If preparing for employment in the field of Human Services, the student should be aware of the following requirements and plan accordingly:
- Students must meet with faculty advisor and determine the suitability of the program.
- The applicant must be free of any mental or physical condition which might adversely affect his/her performance in the field of Human Services.
- Students with disabilities who meet program prerequisites are eligible for admission to the program.
- The applicant must be of excellent moral character and must not have been convicted of any felony or any serious misdemeanor involving moral turpitude. Background checks may be conducted.
- Students who plan to be employed in the field of Human Services are encouraged to check with the employing agency in order to ascertain any special employment requirements of the particular agency.
Contact For More Information:
John Hays 434-949-6602