Jun 17, 2024  
2021-2022 Catalog/Student Handbook 
2021-2022 Catalog/Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduation and Transcripts


Program Requirements

All students who are initially placed in a program are placed in a catalog year at the same time. The catalog year to which a student is assigned determines the program requirements for graduation.
Students who have been attending in a non-curricular status will be placed in the catalog year corresponding to their program placement, not the catalog year corresponding to the year they became a non-curricular student. Students, who were previously in a program and dropped out of college for at least one year or changed programs and then ask to be readmitted to the original program after one year, will be placed in the program in existence at the time of their readmittance. Students who drop out for less than one year, or request readmittance to a program within a year after dropping out of it, will be readmitted under the original catalog, unless there have been significant changes to the program requirements. The Dean of Enrollment Management will determine the catalog year when there is a question.

It is the responsibility of each student to be certain that all graduation requirements are fulfilled. Though the student’s advisor can help, the final responsibility rests with the student.

To be eligible to graduate with an associate degree, diploma, or certificate from the college, a student must have:
Fulfilled all of the course and credit-hour requirements of the degree, diploma, or certificate curriculum as specified in the college catalog with at least 25 percent of the credits acquired at the college. The 25 percent does not include advance standing credits awarded through Advanced Placement examinations, CLEP, or other means of advanced standing accepted in transfer by other post-secondary institutions.
Been certified for graduation by his/her advisor, and the appropriate Academic Dean or Dean of Nursing and Health Technology.
Earned a GPA of at least 2.0 in all studies attempted which are applicable towards graduation in his/her curriculum.
Filed an application for graduation in the Office of Admissions and Records.
Resolved all financial obligations to the college and returned all library and other college materials.
Completed any required tests or other student assessments.

Once these requirements have been met, the Dean of Enrollment Management or designee will certify that the award may be conferred. The college reserves the right to award a certificate, degree, or diploma based on program completion requirements.

Additionally, upon recommendation of the Academic division and the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, students who pursue a degree or diploma program but are unable to complete the degree or diploma requirements may be issued a certificate provided the portion of study completed is equivalent to an approved certificate program offered at the college. If an approved certificate in the student’s area of study is not offered at the college, an Award of Completion may be granted which specifies instructional hours completed.

Students who are within eight (8) hours of meeting graduation requirements for Associate Degrees and intend to complete those requirements by the following summer semester, will be allowed to participate in the spring graduation ceremony. Degrees, however, will not be conferred until course work is completed with a passing grade. Students who plan to “walk” in spring exercises must complete applications for graduation through their advisors.

Second Degree, Diploma or Certificate

Courses used to satisfy curricular requirements in one program may not be used to satisfy different curricular requirements in another program. For example: if a psychology course is used to meet a specific course requirement in one program, it may not be used to satisfy an elective requirement in another program. Courses common to two programs (ENG 111 , for example) may be used to satisfy this specific requirement in both programs. If you are planning on graduating in more than one certificate, degree or diploma program, please discuss this with your faculty advisor well in advance of your desired graduation date. When in doubt, discuss your plans with our Academic Dean or Dean of Enrollment Management to ensure that you will meet all of the requirements in each of your programs. It is not, however, the intent of this policy to award career studies or other certificates to students who have concurrently completed a related degree, diploma, or certificate program. There must be a sequential progression through the different program levels; therefore, a student can not earn multiple Associates in Arts and Sciences degrees.

Graduation Honors

Students who have fulfilled the graduation requirements as applicable to their program are eligible for graduation honors. Graduation honors are not applicable to Career Studies Certificates. All honor graduates will have earned at least one-half of the credits for their curriculum in Southside Virginia Community College classes. 

Appropriate honors are awarded for Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates based upon the students’ cumulative grade point average as follows:

3.2 Grade Point Average — Cum laude (with honors)
3.5 Grade Point Average — Magna cum laude (high honors)
3.8 Grade Point Average — Summa cum laude (highest honors)

Graduation Expenses

A formal graduation exercise is held at the end of the spring term. An Application for Graduation must be completed by all graduating students and turned in to the Admissions and Records Office two months preceding the expected graduation date. Students eligible for graduation will receive written notification of their eligibility as well as information about purchasing caps and gowns. There is no charge for diplomas; however, students who need to obtain a duplicate diploma will be charged a $10 fee.


An official copy of the student’s permanent academic record at Southside Virginia Community College is mailed or sent electronically to other educational institutions and agencies. Unofficial student transcripts are available by logging in to MySVCC at http://www.southside.edu. In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, transcripts are released only with the written consent of the student. Transcripts may be requested electronically following the steps at https://southside.edu/request-transcripts or in person via written request. The transcript will generally be produced within one week. Transcript fees may vary based on the selected delivery options in Parchment.